Monday, June 4, 2012

Taco Casserole

I must have made close to a dozen recipes like this, but I always like them.  There are always little variations, but basically the same thing.  Mexican yumminess.  Tonight Steve took Emma to DaddyDaughterDateNight so we were minus 2 eaters.  But my guinea pig family was still here  =o)  This is from Simple & Delicious, and it's another recipe from the advertiser section, this one from Ortega.  To further get you to buy their products, they put two Ortega coupons in the magazine.  So I made this, but I did not use all Ortega products.  Because that's how I stick it to the man.

Taco Casserole
1 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 bottle (8 oz) taco sauce (I used mild)
3/4 cup water
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning (I just used my Old El Paso I already have)
12 taco shells, broken
2 cups shredded chedddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease 11x7 baking dish.  Cook beef and onion in large skillet until browned.  Drain fat.  Stir in taco sauce, water, chilies, and taco seasoning; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Layer half of broken taco shells on bottom of prepared baking dish.  Cover with half of the meat mixture; sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.  Repeat layers.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. 

Of course we thought this was great.  Nathan only ate the meat and taco shells out of it because he thinks he hates cheese.  L&L helpfully tried to tell him it was made of milk, and he likes milk, and when you eat cheese it's like you can taste the milk, but he wasn't buying it.  There is just one serving of this left for Steve to take to work for leftovers.  Very yummy, very easy.  Definitely keeping.

No comments: