Friday, June 1, 2012

Deli Roast Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes

Okay.  When I saw this recipe in my Simple & Delicious that just came, I thought "I cannot make that" and I went past it.  It looked so good but I knew it was not good for you at all.  A few pages later I went back to it to reconsider.  And I was like "No.  I cannot make that."  And then a few pages later, because I couldn't get it out of my mind, I went back to it.  I rationalized with myself, saying, "Just make it.  You don't have to post it on your blog.  Nobody has to know."  But you guys know that is not how I roll.  I don't put on any airs with you.  I just write what I make, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  And the healthy.  And the really really unhealthy.  I know as I type out the ingredients, I will feel a sense of shame.  Also I made some recipe modifications to make it even. yummier.  The trade-off there is that it also made them even worse for you.  Here we go...

Deli Roast Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes
1 lb sliced deli roast beef (that would have been like 8 bucks...I got the Hillshire Farm version from the lunch meat section.  Yup.)
2 cans (10 1/2 oz each) beef gravy
1 can (4 oz) mushroom stems and pieces, drained (omitted by me)
1 pkg (3.6 oz) creamy butter instant mashed potatoes (yup)
4 slices Italian bread

Combine beef, gravy, and mushrooms in a 2 qt microwave safe dish.  Cover and microwave on high 2-3 minutes or until heated through (I heated the beef and gravy in a saucepan over medium heat until sizzly and delicious-looking.  Also I chopped the roast beef a bit before I added it to the gravy).

Prepare potatoes according to package directions.  Divide bread among 4 plates.  Spoon beef mixture over bread.  Serve with potatoes.

I put butter on one side of each bread and grilled the pieces.  I thought the gravy would make the bread soggy too fast if I didn't.  And, I just love butter. 

Can you believe I made that??  It was so so good.  Really good.  Comfort food.  I saved the recipe (again rationalizing) to make on a night that I had worked the night before and I was working the next night too.  I need fast suppers on those nights.  This was fast.  Delicious.  Salty.  Gravy-y.  I love gravy.  When speaking with a friend about this menu last night at work, she made me feel better by saying, "I don't even know how you get any supper on the table at all when you work two in a row."  That was helpful.  Also I would like to confess at this time that I am saving this recipe, and we will likely have it again.

No comments: