Wednesday, May 30, 2012

S'MOreos

Melissa and I invented this recipe.  Monday nights my "guinea pig family" comes over, so called because I seem to make a lot of new recipes on Mondays, and they all end up being guinea pigs.  Melissa always brings dessert (and Diet Pepsi woot).  Sometimes she makes stuff, but sometimes she just buys something if she has been busy that day.  We don't mind.  She usually buys stuff the kids love, like ice cream or popsicles or cookies.  So this past Monday she brought Oreos.  Also Steve had this huge brush pile from when he pruned our plum trees.  Pruned trees look awful, but that's a different story.  He got a permit and we did a brush fire.  He also wanted to do s'mores with the kiddos.  Channeling the spirit of Jill, avid blog reader and very creative cook who I am not at all like (I always like to follow a recipe or I get nervous...) we invented this recipe.  Our tenant came down to enjoy with us, too.  She is very funny, in general.  She said she is certain no one ever in the world has thought of this before.  Not sure if she was being sarcastic...

S'MOreos
1 campfire, burned down to good coals
long sticks from plum trees, or any old sticks will do
marshmallows
Hershey bars
Oreos
graham crackers (for your picky children who don't want to try your new recipe)

Toast marshmallows on sticks.  Put on Oreo down on a towel-covered card table your husband brought out for the purpose of s'more building.  Put 2 squares of Hershey chocolate on top of Oreo.  Place toasted marshmallow on top of chocolate, and then using a second Oreo, squish down a little while you take out the stick.  Let it sit for a few seconds to melt the chocolate.

I think you can guess that these were pretty tasty.  They were hard to eat.  They were tall, and hard to take a bite of.  When you did take a bite, some of the stuff spilled out the back.  But that happens to me with regular smores too.  I can't say if I will ever make these again, because I don't know if we'll have Oreos next time we want to make s'mores.  But it was fun to invent something.  Copyright 2012.  =o)

No comments: