Saturday, May 5, 2012

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Crumble Bars

We love peanut butter.  And chocolate.  If I had to choose one, it would depend on the day.  Most days I would choose a good dark chocolate.  But some days I would choose a creamy yummy peanut butter.  My hubby loves desserts that have both.  I think he would choose peanut butter every day.  We had this for home fellowship tonight, it's from the Kraft Food & Family I took from my sister's house.

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Crumble Bars
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 pkg (8 squares) Baker's Semi-Sweet chocolate
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Heat oven to 350.  Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with mixer until well blended.  Add combined oats, flour, and baking soda; mix well.  Press 3 cups onto bottom of 13x9 pan sprayed with cooking spray.

Microwave chocolate on high for 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring after 45 seconds.  Stir in peanut butter.  Carefully spread over crust; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.  Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

While this was in the oven, Emma came in the kitchen and said "it smells like Sonic's food in here."  Sonic is our dear departed, gone but not forgotten, hamster.  I said, "well, that's not very encouraging."  She took a deep breath and said "now it doesn't."  It didn't taste or smell like hamster food to me.  These were quite good, and well received by kids and grown ups at home fellowship.  They were extremely crumbly, which is a point against them.  But they tasted good.

No comments: