Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Beef Barbecue

Got my new Simple & Delicious in the mail.  One thing they have started doing that I do not like is letting advertisers in the magazine give you recipes.  This issue has contributions from Ortega, because they want you to buy Ortega products, and Emeril, because they want you to buy Emeril stuff.  Well, joke's on them because I already have the Emeril ingredient, so ha.  Steve likes it on goulash and meat for the grill.  Also, Sam loves sloppy joes, which is essentially what these are, and I have a great sloppy joe recipe already, but since I had all the ingredients for this except the tomato sauce ($0.38), I decided to throw it into the meal plan for this week.

Beef Barbecue
1 lb ground beef
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp white or cider vinegar
1 tbsp Emeril's Original Essence
6 soft hamburger buns

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, green pepper, and onion until beef is well browned.  Stir in tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar, and essence, heat to boiling.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture is desired thickness.  Spoon onto buns.

This wasn't quite as soupy as my other sloppy joe recipe, and it was a tiny bit spicy.  Steve loved it, and the kids all ate it, too.  Nathan didn't have his on a bun, because "I don't want sandwiches."  We had this with frozen french fries, which always remind me of school lunches, but in a good way (it's true), and mandarin oranges, which almost all the kids love.  I hadn't planned on keeping this recipe, because I thought it was just a space-holder, but Steve liked it so well that I'm going to keep it.  If you already have Emeril seasoning for whatever reason, you should make this.  I don't know that I would specifically purchase it for this recipe.  Okay, I know that I wouldn't.  But you can make your own decision there.

No comments: