Thursday, May 17, 2012

Beefy Rice

This is the rice that my friend recommended be served with the apricot chicken.

Beefy Rice
1 cup rice (she recommended white rice but I only had brown so I used that)
1 can beef consomme (Campbell's, near all their other soups)
1 chicken bouillon
1 small can sliced mushrooms (save the juice)(I didn't use these at all)
fill the mushroom can (with its juice in it) to the top with water and add it
1/4 tsp marjoram
3/4 cube butter (now this was interesting.  I never heard of a cube of butter.  But I googled it, and apparently it is a common unit of measurement in other countries.  My friend said she thinks it is 8 tbsp.  I used 6 tbsp)

Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered, then 30 more minutes uncovered (I read a comment on the fb post that said it usually takes longer, so I did 45 minutes each, especially since I used brown rice to begin with).

The chicken says 375, and the rice says 350.  So the rice got 350 until I put the chicken in, and then it got 375 for the rest of the time.  I definitely should have used white rice.  Even after 1 1/2 hours of cooking time it was a bit chewy.  We could still eat it, but I wished I had added more liquid at the beginning.  We had this with the sauce from the chicken over the top of it, as recommended.  The two littlest children didn't care for that, but Sam liked his.  If I was making this again, it would definitely be with white rice.  That makes it less healthy, but when you make a comfort-meal food like this, it's not like you're going for health.  So once in a while...except you can't just buy 1 cup of white rice, you have to buy a whole package.  And then you have to use the rest of the rice in other recipes.  And then your kids get used to white rice and then when you try to serve brown again...oh dear.

Also, this is not a vegetable, but I didn't think it fit well into any of the categories.  And since vegetables and rice are usually served as side dishes, I stuck it with vegetables.  It's my blog and I can do what I want.

1 comment:

Steadfasthope said...

Yes, it must have more liquid if you use brown rice. I'm not sure of the proportions, though. I only keep brown rice on hand, too, and I wasn't too happy the last time I made this (because I still haven't figured out how to convert it yet.) It is so good, though, if the recipe is followed exactly (including the mushrooms!). I sort of follow it, because I always use my rice cooker. Your reviews made me laugh. And they made me hungry.