Monday, May 14, 2012

BBQ Beef Skewers

We had this yesterday, on Mother's Day.  I didn't mind cooking on Mother's Day, because I like cooking!  As we were eating, one of the kids said "we should have cooked everything today."  But I assured them I didn't mind because cooking is fun for me.  Most of the time, anyway.  This is from a cookbook that came from Sam's Club. 

BBQ Beef Skewers
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 lb flank or sirloin steak
3 tbsp minced shallots or green onions
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
4 cloves garlic, minced
16 skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak for 30 minutes)

Cut beef diagonally into thin strips about 1" wide.  Thread onto the skewers.  In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients.  Coat meat generously with the sauce mixture.  Place skewers on grill and grill 2-3 minutes on each side.

So good.  It took some time to cut and then thread the meat.  A lot of the sauce spilled off while it was grilling, so I think next time I will reserve at least a bit of the sauce to add on at the end.  Also, I made these on my George Foreman grill, which I enjoy very much.  However, the skewers made it so the lid wouldn't close right, and I had to turn them over halfway through, which normally you don't have to do because it grills top and bottom simultaneously.  But everyone liked this, even Nathan who was adamant that he would NOT when he saw me making them, and then saw them on his plate.  The kids thought it was fun to eat the meat off the sticks.  Oh and also I only ended up using 10 skewers, definitely not the 16 it called for.  This made just enough food for the 5 of us, so if you are having people over, definitely double it.

No comments: