Thursday, May 17, 2012

Apricot Chicken

My friend posted this on her facebook a very long time ago, and I remember thinking then that I wanted to try it.  But (does this happen to you?) I got distracted by something shiny and then forgot all about it.  Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when another friend Nina (avid blog reader) told my first friend that she was making it that night, reminding me that I wanted to try it.  Fast forward to yesterday, and I made it.  The friend who posted the recipe also recommended that Beefy Rice be made with it at the same time, so I did and posted that recipe separately.  To further mix this up, if you're even still following me, these two recipes are my friend's mother's.

Apricot Chicken
12 oz apricot jelly/jam
4 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 envelope dried onion soup mix
chicken

Mix the first 3 ingredients.  Put the chicken in a 9x13 pan (I asked my friend to clarify: chicken pieces, and not skinned. We had two breasts, two thighs, and two drumsticks.  Nobody ever eats the wings at this house, so I saved them to make chicken broth).  Pour the mixture over the chicken.  Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes (mine took the full 60).

Between this and the rice, the kitchen smelled great by the time Steve got home.  He was playing that great game Name That Smell and he guessed "barbecue?" But he was wrong.  He couldn't guess.  The chicken came out moist and great, and didn't taste very apricot-y.  More like sweet and sour.  The skin was crisp, and the sugar from the jam made some of it brown up very yummily (I did not eat all the skin from my piece, just those yummy crispy parts).  There was a lot of sauce left over, so I put it in with the leftover rice, hoping that the leftover rice will absorb some of that liquid and be less chewy (see the rice recipe to see what I mean).  So this recipe was very easy to make, and everyone liked their chicken.

No comments: