Friday, May 4, 2012

Chicken & Roasted Red Potatoes

Stole my sister's Kraft Food & Family when I was there a couple of weekends ago.  She still gets it, but she says this is the last year, she's not going to keep paying for it.  The cover price on this is $5.99.  As if.  Like I have said in other posts, I would not pay for this magazine, which is really just a glorified commercial meant to make you think that you have to buy Kraft's newest products.  But I digress, because I will (obviously) read it for free, and make recipes from it, with slight modifications so I don't buy the new product.

Chicken & Roasted Red Potatoes
1/4 cup Kraft Ranch dressing (I used Great Value)
6 large bone-in chicken thighs, skin and visible fat removed
4 slices Oscar Mayer bacon (I used Hormel Black Label)
1 1/2 lb red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 cup Kraft Shredded Triple Cheddar Cheese with a Touch of Philadelphia (this is the new thing they want you to buy...I just used 1 cup of shredded cheddar I had in my freezer)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Pour dressing over chicken in shallow dish and refrigerate for 30 minutes (I put mine in a gallon size ziploc bag).

Heat oven to 400.  Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp.  Remove bacon from skillet, reserving 1 tbsp drippings in skillet.  Drain bacon on paper towels.

Add potatoes and onions to reserved drippings; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.  Crumble bacon and add to potato mixture; mix lightly.  Spoon in 9x13 baking dish.  Remove chicken from dressing; discard dressing.  Place chicken over potato mixture.

Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and chicken is 165.  Top with cheese and parsley.

Of course this was very good.  But also very fatty, what with the bacon and the chicken thighs. Oh, and the ranch dressing.  The onions in it tasted great.  All the kids liked it, too. Even though this was great, this is not the kind of thing you could make very often.  But it was very tasty, and I am going to keep the recipe.

No comments: