Monday, June 25, 2012

Salsa Verde Chicken Salad Quesadillas

This isn't the gross kind of chicken salad that has mayo.  It just has lettuce in the quesadillas so I think that's why they called it "chicken salad."  This is from Simple & Delicious, but it's from the Ortega advertising section.  But I did not fall for their ploy to get me to purchase their product.  I bought a different brand of salsa verde (which is made with green stuff instead of red tomoatoes...also the label says it has cilantro and lime juice so it sounds very yummy).

Salsa Verde Chicken Salad Quesadillas
Cooking spray
4 tortillas
1 cup refried beans
3 cups cooked cubed chicken
4 tbsp diced jalapenos (I had some leftover, and only put them in Steve's & Melissa's)
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
2 cups shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese
1 cup salsa verde

Heat large skillet over medium heat.  Spray outside of tortilla with cooking spray and place into skillet with sprayed side down.

Spread 1/4 cup refried beans on one side of tortilla.  Top with 1/4 of the chicken, 1 tbsp jalapenos, 1/4 of the lettuce, and 1/4 of the cheese.

Fold half of tortilla over filled side of tortilla.  Allow heating until cheese begins to melt.  Flip quesadilla and continue to heat other side until golden brown. 

Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients.  Allow to rest on cutting board for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving with salsa verde.

Okay so if you put the tortilla in the pan and then fill it, it's going to burn after the first one.  So I sprayed the pan in between quesadillas instead of spraying the tortilla.  These were very good.  I've never had salsa verde before but I really liked it.  It was a bit on the spicy side, but I just used a very little bit and you could taste the flavor without too much spice.  Everybody liked them.  Lincoln was mad that I forgot sour cream.  But it doesn't even say "optional" sour cream in the recipe or anything so it's not really my fault.  Melissa said from now on if I say "Mexican" she's going to bring her own sour cream.  BYOSC. 

No comments: