Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pork and Peach Kabobs

Doesn't that sound good?  I bet it would have been way better if the peaches didn't char to a crisp.  Maybe you will have a different experience.  I like cooking fruit, like peaches and apples and pineapple.  Usually it's so yummy.  This recipe came from Kraft Food & Family, and we had it last night.

Pork and Peach Kabobs
2 peaches, pitted, each cut into 6 wedges
1 vidalia onion, cut into 6 wedges
1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin, cut int 18 pieces (I didn't really count)
3/4 cup barbecue sauce

Heat grill to medium-high heat.  Cut peach and onion wedges crosswise in half; thread onto 6 skewers alternately with meat.  Grill 15 minutes or until meat is done, turning occasionally and brushing with sauce for the last 5 minutes.

Okay like I said above, totally charred the peaches.  They were unrecognizable as peaches by the time the meat was done, and Steve turned the grill down, too.  Maybe you would have better luck making this on a broiler pan in the oven.  I was going to use my Foreman grill, but last time I put skewers on there it was hard for things to cook evenly because it didn't close right.  So, oh well.  It's about time for a fail, I guess, because I've had lots of good ones lately. 

Also, a note about skewers: if you use wooden skewers you are supposed to soak them for 15 minutes before you thread the stuff onto them, so they don't like catch fire while they are on the grill.  Mine always still char, and then for a second I think "I should just buy metal reusable skewers" but then I realize I would have to wash them if I did that, so I quickly say "never mind" to myself.

Also, my sister-in-law and nephews were over for dinner.  We were having corn on the cob, and they brought a lime and hot wing sauce to put over the corn, which they said is one of their favorite ways to make corn on the cob.  You sprinkle lime juice on the corn after you butter it, and then drizzle hot wing sauce or grated parmesan cheese over it.  We all (except Emma & Nathan) tried our corn in one of those ways.  I had the lime and cheese.  It was different but pretty good.  Sam had his with hot wing sauce and said it was way too hot for him, so Steve finished that one.  Of the lime & cheese version, Sam said "it's pretty good, but I wouldn't want to eat it every day."  So a night of new things, not sure which of them will stick...not the meal on the sticks, I know that...

No comments: