Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Asian Noodle Toss

We had this for supper tonight.  It came together very easily, which is good.  It also makes a lot.  It says 4 servings but that is crazy.  Maybe 4 lumberjacks.  I was going to make this to bring to church, because on Wednesdays now we have a potluck before the evening service.  But then one of my kids came down with a fever this afternoon, and so no church for some of us and no potluck dinner for any of us.  So we have 2 big servings of this leftover.  It's from Simple & Delicious.

Asian Noodle Toss
1 pkg (9 oz) refrigerated angel hair pasta (I used 1/2 pkg dry whole wheat linguine that I already had)
1 pkg (10 oz) julienned (matchstick) carrots
1 pkg (6 oz) snow peas (I used 1/2 of a 12 oz pkg of frozen sugar snap peas)
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
11 oz can mandarin oranges, undrained
2/3 cup stir fry sauce
chopped green onions, for garnish

Cook the pasta in a Dutch oven according to package directions, adding vegetables and pasta at the same time (since I started with dry pasta rather than refrigerated, I added the carrots when there was 10 minutes left of cook time and the sugar snaps when there was 5 minutes left of the pasta cooking time); drain.  Return to the pot and add the chicken, oranges and their juice, and stir fry sauce; heat through.  Divide on to plates and top with chopped green onions.

This was so good!  Like real Chinese food.  Steve was excited when he saw it..."Lo Mein?" he said.  "I don't know...it's linguine" I said.  I thought at first there were way too many carrots, but once the pasta cooked it seemed like the right amount.  Steve said that there are always too few carrots in lo mein anyway so it was good.  The littles didn't like the noodles, but they liked the chicken and vegetables.  The rest of us all liked this and though it was really good.  It was easy and we will definitely have it again!

No comments: