Saturday, December 8, 2012

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

A few weeks ago Nathan went to a Cub Scout meeting and one of the mommies brought these cookies.  Steve brought two of them home to show me.  What a fabulous, ingenious idea.  But I knew it wouldn't work with my mom's chocolate chip cookie recipe, which is how I always make chocolate chip cookies.  The dough would be too sticky.  It was in the back of my mind all the next day...thoughts of "how could I do this?" and "there has to be a way."  That night at church I spoke of my concerns with one of my besties, Lisa.  She said "that mom must have gotten that recipe from Pinterest."  Now, Pinterest isn't a site I have ever visited, because I'm afraid it will be a time vortex, sucking away all of my time.  Because I know there is a lot of great stuff on there, just from what I see my facebook friends post.  So Lisa went on Pinterest and found it for me, because that's the kind of friend she is.  She even printed it on thick paper, so I don't have to recopy the recipe onto a card or anything.  This dough has more flour but the same amount of butter and eggs as my mom's recipe, so that's why this one works.  I made these for home fellowship last night.

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips
1 pkg Double Stuf Oreos

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars with a mixer until well combined.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  In medium bowl, mix flour salt and baking soda.  Slowly add to wet ingredients until just combined.  Add chocolate chips.  With a cookie scoop, form balls with the dough.  Place one ball on top of an Oreo cookie, and another ball on the bottom.  Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo is fully enclosed in cookie dough (mmmmmmmmmmm try not to eat it raw, raw cookie dough is bad for you!  Maybe I did that and maybe I didn't...I will never tell).  Place onto parchment or silpat (?) lined baking sheets and bake cookies for 13 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.  These barely spread while cooking, so keep that in mind when determining how many can fit.  Makes 24 gigantic cookies.

I don't think I need to tell you how awesome these were.  I was afraid there wouldn't be enough, but there were.  They are so sweet that one is enough.  But really you are eating 3 cookies at the same time.  So don't make these just for your family because that could be disastrous.  But make them to bring somewhere, definitely.

No comments: