Thursday, December 13, 2012

English Muffin Bread

My friend Jill made this and posted the recipe last weekend.  I clicked on the link and saw how easy it was (only 5 ingredients) and that you don't have to knead it, which is a point in it's favor.  So I made it on Sunday, because between services we had nowhere to go (how glorious).  If you have rapid rise yeast, it only has to rise once, but I have regular yeast, so it has to rise twice.  Here is the link to the blog, which includes pictures.  Here at New Recipe Night we have not gone so far in the publishing world so as to include step by step pictures with each recipe.  http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/moms-english-muffin-bread.html  Of course I do not want to plagiarize, and always want to give credit where it is due.  I don't make up any of my own recipes, I just pass them along to you guys and tell you if they were worth my time & trouble.

English Muffin Bread
5 1/2 cups warm water
3 pkg (6 3/4 tsp) rapid rise or regular yeast
2 tbsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
11 cups flour (she says you can use bread flour or all-purpose...I only had 9 cups of bread flour so I used those and then 2 cups of all purpose)

Mix all ingredients together in a LARGE bowl (if you are using regular yeast, cover the bowl and let it rise about an hour, until the dough reaches the top [or close to it] of the bowl).  Spoon dough into 4 well greased loaf pans.  Let rise until dough reaches the tops of the pans.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.  10 minutes before end of baking time, brush tops of loaves with melted butter (mine only took 40 minutes total).  Cool 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire racks to cool completely.  Bread will be moist at first.  Be sure you allow to cool completely before cutting. 

This made awesome toast.  One of the other comments on the blog this came from said it made awesome grilled cheese, too, but we didn't do that.  We kept two of the loaves and gave two away.  So easy and so yummy.  We will definitely have this again.

No comments: