Saturday, December 8, 2012

Soft Ginger Waffles

This is another recipe from the Christmas cookbook I'm going through.  I have an old waffle iron; it used to be my grandmother's.  It is heavy, and it only has a two-prong plug, and the cord gets hot when I use it.  And, I love it because I think of her every time I use it.  I have a good waffle recipe already, but these sounded kind of like gingerbread waffles, so I wanted to try them.

Soft Ginger Waffles
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses
2 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cup flour (I doubled this recipe, and used 2 cups white and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour)
2 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp milk

Beat butter at medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.  Add molasses; beat well.  Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices; add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Mix well after each addition.  Beat egg whites at high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold beaten whites into batter.  Spoon 1 cup of batter onto preheated oiled waffle iron.  Spread batter to edges.  Bake until lightly brown.  Repeat procedure with remaining batter.

This batter was really thick.  Much thicker than my usual waffle batter, which you can pour onto the waffle iron.  This you had to dump and spread really quick.  These smelled so great while they were baking.  The end result was a bit dry, and I'm not sure why.  But we always use plenty of butter and syrup on our waffles anyway so it wasn't too big of a deal.  Nathan did not like these at all (he only likes waffles from a box, he said) but the rest of us ate them and thought they were fine.  They are hearty.  I made a double batch but didn't need to because no one had seconds, so Grampie benefitted from that.  He told me he thought they were "real good," and he chuckled when I told him Nathan didn't like them.  "Heh heh give 'em to Grampie!" he said.

No comments: