Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes

Yesterday was Christmas, and we had coffee cake for breakfast, meatballs before lunch, soup and sandwiches for lunch, and maybe a snack before dinner.  This recipe sounded quick and easy and light to finish off the day.  It's from the latest Simple & Delicious, which I love and which I just got in the mail last week.  It starts with a pancake mix, which I don't love, but I guess that's part of the "easy." 

Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes
1 cup complete buttermilk pancake mix
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chunky cinnamon applesauce
1/4 cup water

Combine pancake mix and cinnamon.  Add applesauce and water; stir just until moistened.  Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle; turn when bubbles form on top.  Cook until the second side is golden brown.  Serve with syrup and butter.

I doubled the recipe, because as it's written it says the yield is 9 pancakes.  I doubled it and got 18.  But the batter was really thick.  Too thick.  It didn't spread well when you dropped it onto the griddle.  It stuck to the griddle some, even with it being sprayed with cooking spray.  Also they didn't taste apple-y at all.  Everyone ate them though.  We have 5 leftover which Emma assured me she would eat.  We are now 24 hours out from this recipe and they are still in the fridge...so I won't be making these again, even though I'm sure they could be tweaked to be better.  With the rest of the pancake mix, I will make a yummy scone recipe I have that starts with pancake mix (Chocolate Orange Scones).  So not a total loss.

No comments: