Thursday, December 13, 2012

Overnight Coffee Cake

I made this on Sunday, and we had it for lunch, along with sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, and hash browns.  A very yummy brunch.  This can be mixed the night before and then refrigerated and baked, or mixed and then baked immediately.  I didn't refrigerate it, so I can't say how it would turn out if you did.  I made it when I got home from church and put it in the oven.  This recipe is from the Southern Living Christmas cookbook I'm working through.

Overnight Coffee Cake
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk (or sour milk, which you make by putting 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar into a measuring cup and then filling with milk to the 1 cup line)
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
Topping:
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine first seven ingredients in large mixing bowl.  Add buttermilk, butter, and eggs.  Beat at low speed of electric mixer until dry ingredients are moistened.  Beat at medium speed an additional 3 minutes.  Spoon batter into greased and floured 13x9x2 pan.  Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter.  Cover and chill overnight.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes back clean.  Alternately, bake immediately at 350 for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes back clean.  To reheat, cover and bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

This was very good.  Very moist.  I didn't have quite enough pecans, and I thought that was one of the yummiest parts.  We only ate about 1/5 of this as part of the brunch, so we had enough to give some to my parents and my grampie, and then still like 1/5 left of it for Sam & I to have for breakfast a couple of mornings.  So it would be great for a get-together because it makes so much.  Easy and yummy, definitely keeping this one.

No comments: