Monday, August 13, 2007

Black Forest Cake

Historically, this is one of my dad's favorite desserts. He always raves about how good it was when he was in Germany. So when we decided to have our somewhat monthly family dinner, I thought I would make this, even though I'm sure it's not the same as the original, but hopefully a reasonable facsimile. From that same cookbook with the states, from Wyoming, of all places...

Black Forest Cake
chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker chocolate fudge)
1 21 oz can cherry pie filling
3 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp instant vanilla pudding mix
1 4 oz choc bar or chocolate chips

Bake cake mix according to pkg directions in 3 8x8 inch cake rounds (which I just happen to have) or in a springform pan and cut into 3 layers (that seems harder). Have cake layers ready and cooled. Transfer one layer to cake platter and spread with pie filling. Beat whipping cream until thick (turns out, this is like impossible to do by hand. Good thing my mom has her trusty Oster mixer); sift powdered sugar and dry pudding mix over whipping cream (I did not sift. I sprinkled) and continue beating until cream makes stiff peaks (I think I waited too long to do this step, because instantly when I added the sugar & pudding it was thick. Like buddah)(Not Buddha, the false god in India). Put second layer of cake on top of cherries and spread w/ 1/3 of the whipped cream. Add third layer and frost whole cake w/ remaining whipped cream. Use potato peeler to grate chocolate on top, or use chocolate chips (I used mini choc chips).

So, this was quite tasty. The cake was very moist and light and the frosting, while not very sweet, was light and tasty. Problem was, Jon & Jess were so stuffed from mom's chicken, they didn't try it. So I said, next time I don't want dessert, because 1/3 of the people there didn't try it. I want either main course or side dish so that at least everyone tries it. Sheesh. I left the rest of the cake there for my dad because I didn't think it would travel home very well. But this was a good one.

No comments: