Thursday, August 16, 2007

Chicken and Stuffing Casserole

So this is what we had last night...from North Dakota in that cookbook from Mom...

Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
4 cups stuffing mix (I used Hannaford chicken flavor from the canister)
1 cup butter, melted
4 cups chopped cooked chicken (I cooked 3 breasts & chopped and didn't measure them. I think it was about right, though)
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) cream of chicken soup
1 13 oz can evaporated milk (at the Walmart they only had 12 oz cans, name brand or otherwise. so that's what I used)
1 10 oz pkg frozen peas, thawed (yes, I did use these. Did I actually eat them?)
1/4 cup minced onion
1 2 oz jar chopped pimento, drained (I did not use this)

Combine stuffing mix with butter in bowl, mix well. Press half the mixture into 9x13 pan. Combine all other ingredients in separate bowl, mix well and spread over prepared dish, top w/ remaining stuffing mix. Bake @ 350 for one hour.

Okay this definitely did not take and hour. I checked it after like 34 minutes and the stuffing on top was almost black. So obviously I took it out. But the recipe didn't say to cover it. Anyway, it was still done even after only 34 minutes. It did turn out pretty good. Emma of course did not want the peas or stuffing and only ate the chicken. Sam ate all of it and had seconds. And of course, trusty Steve did, too. As for me...I picked out the peas and ate the rest!!

No comments: