Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thai Chicken Fettucine

This is what we had last night. It's nearing the end of that state by state cookbook I've been working through. This one is from Oregon.

Thai Chicken Fettucine
1 cup picante sauce (I used Pace mild)
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
12 oz dry fettucine, cooked & well drained (I used spaghetti b/c I had a lot of it on hand)
2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut in chunks (about 3 breasts)(according to them)
Iceberg lettuce or savory cabbage leaves for garnish
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper

Combine first six ingredients in small saucepan, cook & stir over low heat until blended and smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup mixture, toss remaining mixture w/ hot cooked fettucine. Mix reserved picante sauce w/ cooked chicken pieces. Line large platter with lettuce leaves, if desired (I didn't). Arrange fettucine mixture over lettuce; top w/ chicken mixture. Sprinkle w/ cilantro, peanuts, and red bell pepper. Cool to room temperature before serving, or serve chilled. Serves 6.

Okay so nobody liked this. Well, Steve said he did, but he always says that and always eats anything. Sometimes I will look back at the recipe for something and think, "Why on earth did I think this sounded good?" This was one of those times. I skipped the lettuce, and put the noodles on each person's plate (except not Emma's), then chicken, then cilantro. I skipped the peanuts & red pepper because I didn't want to spend the money on ingredients that needed such small amounts, plus Steve hates plain peanuts. Emma said of the cilantro: "It looks like leafs on your plate." Sam was very good about eating it but said he didn't really like it. That was the camp I was in, too. I ate it but didn't think it was very good. I think it was because of the sauce. Just not very tasty, or at least not what I was expecting. Or something. And anyway, what are people in Oregon doing making Thai food and claiming it as their state recipe? Unless they have a large Thai population there that I am not aware of. So now I've had two bombs in a row (and 3 if you count the dessert). I'm hoping next week will be better....it has to be!

1 comment:

magnantgirl said...

I know what you were thinking... HEY a supper that supplies my peanutbutter habit!!! HAHAHA Well I love you and I think that I will trust your judgement and skip this one. But tomorrow is shopping day and we will be having breakfast for supper thanx to the blueberry Strusel...thank you very much. I will post how it went. And I will mix the 4 ingedients seperately before adding thanx for the tip!