Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Blueberry Streusel Muffins

Hi guys! I know it seems like I'm having a very prolific week, but last night was a spontaneous new recipe. Usually I know like 2 weeks in advance what my recipes are going to be for the next two weeks, because I need to buy ingredients. And because I'm neurotic. Well, we have a high bush blueberry bush out back that Steve picked a bunch of berries from a few days ago, and he asked me yesterday morning before he left for work to make blueberry muffins for lunch. Because he was coming home for lunch. And I said no, but I will make them for supper. So I looked in my cookbooks and found a good one. Now, I could have just called my mom and got her blue-ribbon winning recipe for blueberry muffins, but I had already called her yesterday to see how to cook fresh green beans (our cup runneth way way over fresh produce-wise, and I have like a thimble-ful of knowledge about it). So I found this one in Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. But it's not new. I've had it for a while.

Blueberry Streusel Muffins
Streusel Topping (recipe follows)
2 tbsp firm stick margarine or butter
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Cut margarine into other 3 ingredients using pastry blender or two knives, til crumbly
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt 1 cup fresh or canned (drained) blueberries, or 3/4 cup frozen (thawed and drained)

Heat oven to 400. Grease bottoms only of muffin cups or use paper baking cups (I always do). Prepare Streusel (does this really need to be capitalized) Topping and set aside. Beat milk, oil, vanilla, and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder and salt all at once (?) just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with about 2 tsp Streusel topping. Bake 20-25 mins (mine took 21) or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan to wire rack.

First off, how are you supposed to add 4 different dry ingredients all at once? Probably the best thing would have been to mix it separately in a bowl, but my other mixing bowl was full of
S(capital)treusel Topping. So I just got it all measured then dumped them all in real quick and stirred. It worked okay. The batter was not too sweet like box mixes are, and the blueberries a little tangy, like high bush blueberries are, so guess who didn't like them? Sam ate his and hers. Steve and I had two each. 6 left over. Definitely a make-again. We had them w/ sausage & cheese omelets. I'm so happy for a good recipe after the recent tankers.............

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay so I voted maybe only if she doesn't care about us...Wasn't it you who was talking about moving after Steve finishes his school?

It's only 2 hours away...It's not like it's Mars (the planet not the candy bar)

Love ya!!

J

Mum said...

you could have called me for the recipe; I am always glad to share my knowledge with those who aren't as knowledgable!!!

Love you,