Friday, August 3, 2007

French Toast Casserole

Hi guys! This is what we had on Wednesday night. Very tasty. I had extra ingredients, so I made one for Jessica, and they liked it too. This is yet again from the Best of the Best cookbook (almost done this one) from New Jersey....

Cape May (?) French Toast Casserole
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
2 tbsp corn syrup
2 apples, peeled and sliced
1 loaf french bread, cut into 3/4 inch slices
5 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

Cook sugar, butter, and corn syrup until syrupy. Pour into 9x13 dish. Spread apple slices on syrup. Place bread on apples. Whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Heat oven to 350. Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes. Serve w/ maple syrup. 8 servings.

So what I did instead was make it Wednesday morning and left it in the refrigerator all day, then cooked it for supper. But I'm sure the other way would work, too, esp if you had company. But, although it says 8 servings, I was hard pressed to fit that much french bread in the casserole dish. So you might have to make 2 pans if you had a lot of people to feed. The caramel sauce, although very thick when you pour it into pan, after it cooks it is all mixed in, and it has such a yummy caramel flavor when you eat it. Even my b-i-l liked it, and he is hard to please. Food wise. And hey--did you know they have wheat french bread? I saw it at the Wal-mart but didn't use it this time because I wasn't too sure about it. But maybe next time I'll try it. So that's this week girls. Talk to you soon!

P.S. I feel at this juncture it would be prudent to mention an inadvertent omission. My dear friend Terri has also been following New Recipe Night since the beginning, and has actually made many of the recipes that I said were good (unlike the other 66% of my readership)(ha ha), as well as given me some of her own recipes, which have now become staples in our house, such as "chicken pot pie the way her mom makes it" and "shepherd's pie the way Terri makes it." =)

No comments: