Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Meatloaf in an Onion with Roasted Potatoes

Hi guys! So last night I finished the last two recipes I was planning from the Best of the Best from America cookbook. The meatloaf is from Utah and the potatoes from North Dakota (not home of Mt Rushmore. That's South Dakota. Silly). We also had fresh green beans from "the farm." Emma ate them for the second time--hooray!

Roasted Potatoes
4 pounds potatoes
8 cloves garlic
4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I used dried, and eyeballed it)
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
ground black pepper to taste (I just sprinkled some in)
8-12 tbsp light olive oil
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Peel potatoes (or leave skins on--that's what I did), and cut each potato into 2 inch chunks. Mince garlic (or use garlic in a jar). In lg bowl, combine all ingredients except salt and toss so potatoes are covered in oil (I added some oil, then tossed, then a little more, etc, until it looked right). Spread potatoes in a single layer in 9x13 (or larger) pan (I used a cookie sheet--it would be hard to get all those potatoes in a single layer in a 9x13. More like impossible). Bake uncovered for one hour, or until golden brown and cooked through (mine took 45 minutes). Season with salt before serving.

Meatloaf in an Onion
4 large onions, peeled
1 pound lean ground beef
1 egg
1/4 cup cracker crumbs (I used bread crumbs because I didn't want to crush crackers)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard

Cut off the root at the bottom end of the onion. Cut onions in half horizontally and remove center part of onion, leaving a 3/4 inch thick shell (reserve centers for another use). In a 1 gallon plastic zipper bag, combine all other ingredients and mix by squeezing. Divide meat mixture into 4 balls and place in the center of the 4 onion halves. Put onions back together. Wrap each onion in foil. Cook on the grill 15-20 mins per side or in a 350 oven for 45-50 minutes, or until ground beef and onions are cooked.

So there are the recipes...now my comments. The potatoes were sooooo good. Definitely a make again. They tasted like from a restaurant or something. The meatloaf is another story. The onions came out very soggy, and the meat flavorless. It tasted like I had added nothing to the meat at all, just a hamburger ball inside a soggy onion. But Steve still ate it! Such a trooper. Now it is on to my next cookbook...I will be doing a few recipes from the Spring 2007 Kraft Foods magazine. I am always excited to end one cookbook and start another. Stay tuned! =)

1 comment:

Mum said...

The roasted potatoes sound good, I have a recipe for almost the same thing. The onion concoction I wouldn't have tried anyway. The recipe for the meatloaf didn't seem to have much for spices to add to the taste. I'll be happy to share my meatloaf recipe!

Love you!