Monday, August 20, 2007

Creamy Lemon Squares

So for dessert this week this is what I made. It's from the kraftfoods.com cooking magazine (spring 2007) that I get (for free) in the mail every couple of months. You should get it too. Just go to the above mentioned website and sign up. It's a lot of easy yummy recipes that use some pre-packaged items for the recipes, so they are faster to make. All that being said, I didn't like this one. I love lemon bars in the box, like really love them, so I thought this way I could make them from scratch. Nope. The filling was way too thick & creamy for my liking, and the lemon more tart than it is in the box mixes. So I guess it's back to the box for me. BTW, I almost never like cream-cheese based desserts, so I shouldn't have been surprised. Steve really liked them, Sam liked them but said they were "a bit too sweet for my kind." But maybe you'll like them....

Creamy Lemon Squares
20 reduced fat nilla wafers (I used regular fat), finely crushed
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cold margarine
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp grated lemon peel (I used McCormick in a jar)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I used lemon juice from a bottle. But it says its the same on the bottle as fresh lemons. It's probably not, but I already had it in the fridge)
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp powdered sugar

Combine wafer crumbs, 1/2 cup flour, and the brown sugar in medium bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; press firmly onto bottom of 8x8 inch pan. Bake 15 minutes @ 350. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and sugar w/ electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs and 2 tbsp flour; mix well. Blend in 1 tbsp of the lemon peel, lemon juice, and baking powder; pour over crust. Bake 25-28 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with remaining lemon peel if desired (I didn't desire). Store leftover squares in refrigerator.

No comments: