Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Overnight Oriental Salad

Who can make a salad unhealthy? Monika can, Monika can! I made this one last Thursday, thinking I would take it to work on Thursday and Friday to have for my supper there. But it didn't really work that way. This one is from the Gooseberry Patch again...

Overnight Oriental Salad
3/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 pkg Oriental ramen noodles w/ seasoning packets
1 head cabbage, shredded
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup roasted sunflower seeds

Mix oil, sugar, vinegar, and seasoning packets from Ramen noodles together; refrigerate overnight. Crush noodles in a serving bowl; add cabbage (I actually don't like cabbage, so I used iceberg lettuce, my personal fave and the only lettuce I like), onions, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Pour oil mixture over the top, toss gently. Makes 10-12 servings.

Okay. The actual salad part was pretty good. Like having the almonds & sunflower seeds mixed with the lettuce. That part I liked. But the dressing was so oily. It separated immediately (of course) and never really did completely mix. Even after multiple attempts at different times, as soon as I would stop shaking, it would separate. So when I ate it, I tried to like shake it really fast and then really quick dump it on so that wouldn't happen, but I don't think it worked. Whenever I took a bite it just seemed really oily. So I only brought it on Thursday, not Friday. Oh well, a little money down the drain...

No comments: