Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chicken Wild Rice Chowder w/ Parmesan Walnut Muffins

Okay so this one was better. This is the recipe that uses the reserved chicken from the other one. But since I'm not making that other chicken again, I would have to get mine from another source to make this again. But that's not hard. Anyway here it is...

Chicken Wild Rice Chowder
2 cups sliced fresh carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth
2 2/3 cups cooked cubed chicken (see, you could just use canned chicken or else other leftovers)
1 pkg (8.8 oz) ready to serve long grain and wild rice (I used Uncle Ben's)
1/4 cup half and half
1/8 tsp pepper

In lg saucepan, saute the carrots, onion, and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, rice, cream, and pepper; heat through. 4 servings.

So Steve is not a huge soup fan, which I found out when I was in a soup chapter of a cookbook like 2 years ago and my poor husband had soup like 4 weeks in a row, for supper, and then the leftovers (which he is always faithful to eat, regardless of what they are) for lunch at work for 2-3 days each time. After like 4 weeks he was like "it's not soup again, is it?" Which is like the only time he has said anything remotely negative about my cooking. So we had this, and I asked him if it was a make again, and he said "yes." And I said "even though it's soup?" And he said yes again. So it was pretty good. We had it with these muffins (also from Simple and Delicious)...

Parmesan Walnut Muffins
3 cups bisquick
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, divided
3/4 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tbsp butter, melted, divided
2 tbsp chopped walnuts (I left these out. Steve does not like nuts. Sam thinks he doesn't either but I don't know)

In a large bowl, combine (I used my new Kitchen Aid =) biscuit mix, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, parsley, and Italian seasoning. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk and 1 tbsp butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Pour remaining butter over tops (1 tbsp was not enough); sprinkle with walnuts and remaining parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes then remove to wire rack (I didn't do that. Once they came out of the oven they went on our plates and we ate them. Nothing bad happened). Makes 12 muffins.

So these muffins weren't so great. They were good to have with the chowder but nothing to write home about. I have other muffin recipes that I like better. But these were good for a change.

No comments: