Thursday, January 24, 2008

Deep-Dish Chicken Pie

So this one we had this past Monday, not in the ancient past like the previous two recipes. This one is from the Better Homes & Gardens 75 Years cookbook. This one was okay, but I prefer pot pies with both a top and bottom crust, and I like them better when they are from leftovers rather than making the "sauce" from scratch, I guess. Also, it seemed to have too many vegetables and not enough chicken. For some of you that wouldn't be a con, but for me it is.

Deep-Dish Chicken Pie
1 recipe pastry topper (I'm not even typing that out. Just use a pillsbury (or Great Value) pie crust, or your own recipe for pie crust. I used a store bought one)
2 tbsp margarine or butter
3 medium leeks or 1 large onion, chopped (I used the onion, but only half of one. It was like so much onion it would have been onion pie with chicken if I used the whole thing)
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (nope)
3/4 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half (wow I have been using that a lot lately)
2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup frozen peas
1 beaten egg (which I think you could omit if you are using a store-bought pie crust. They have enough fat already. But of course I didn't omit it, but I would next time if I was making it again)

Lay out your pie crust. Cut some small shapes out of crust using a sharp knife or small cookie cutter. Set aside. In large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add the broth and half-and-half all at once (by which I assume they mean, combine them first in a big measuring cup. I don't have a big measuring cup, so I was just super quick, adding the broth then really fast dumping in the half-and-half). Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and peas. Pour into baking dish (I used a deep dish pie plate. Home & Garden party. They say their stoneware is from the same East Texas clay as Pampered Chef, but then on the box it says made in Thailand. Hmmmm.). Place pastry over the hot chicken mixture in dish; turn edges of pastry under and flute to top edges of dish. Brush with the egg. Place reserved pastry shapes on top of pastry. Brush again with egg. Bake @ 400 for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool about 20 minutes before serving (that didn't happen either. It seems like all these recipes want you to eat your food lukewarm instead of hot.). 6 servings.

So this wasn't bad, but it won't be a make again. I have a much yummier and unhealthier recipe called "Cheater Chicken Pot Pie" that was really good. Check the archives, it's there.

No comments: