Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Peanut-Ginger Chicken

We had this for supper last night and the leftovers today for lunch. So so so so good. If you like anything chinese-y at all, you will like these. And weirdly enough, it smelled like Chex mix while it was baking. I know that sounds weird but it's true. This tasted so delicious, it is the best thing I have made in a while. It's from the Better Homes and Gardens book.

Peanut-Ginger Chicken
12 chicken thighs (about 3 lbs), skinned (I hate skinning chicken parts. I always wear vinyl gloves because I hate touching raw chicken with my bare hands)
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp cooking oil (I used olive oil)
2 tbsp vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced (I used garlic in a jar)
2 tsp grated gingerroot or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground red pepper

Rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in large plastic ziploc bag set in a large deep bowl (so your marinade doesn't spill out when you pour it over the chicken). In small mixing bowl, gradually combine the hot water and peanut butter (mixture will stiffen at first). Stir in the chili sauce, soy sauce, oil, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper (use a whisk). Pour marinade over chicken (the marinade looked off-color. Lisa was here picking up Ethan and I showed her and I told her it looked like a poopy diaper. But don't let that sway you, you should still make this). Seal the bag and turn to coat chicken with the marinade. Marinate for 12 to 24 hours (I only did for 8 and it was still great), turning bag occasionally. Here is where I deviate from the recipe (even more than usual). It says you are supposed to cook the chicken on the grill, but it is January. So I heated the oven to 350, put the chicken on a broiling pan, and cooked it for 30 minutes, turning the chicken over after 25 minutes. You should definitely spray the broiling pan with cooking spray because that stuff gets burned on. Then it says, if desired, serve with hot cooked rice. I desired.

At the risk of sounding redundant I want to reiterate how good this was. Emma thought it was "too spicy" but it wasn't, because I am a big wimp when it comes to spice and this was just flavorful, not spicy. Sam ate his. And Steve and I lapped it up. It was so yummy. Nathan didn't have it because it has peanut butter in it and we're not doing that with him yet. So this is a definite keeper and one I recommend highly. See you girls soon!!

No comments: