Thursday, January 24, 2008

Peanut Butter with Kisses

Sounds like Steve's dream night. But no, its a cookie recipe. This seems like a basic one, but believe it or not I did not have a peanut butter cookie recipe in my permanent file. For this one I made a double batch, and put kisses on like 3/4 of them and then criss-crossed the other ones like plain PB cookies, and they both came out fine. This is another recipe that came from Steve's sister at Christmas.

Peanut Butter with Kisses
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Crisco
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 bag Hershey kisses

So, I thought these ingredients looked like they would not make many cookies. So I doubled the recipe. Then I thought, this isn't much and I will just whip them together by hand and not use my handy dandy Kitchen Aid. That was dumb of me. My arm was so tired from stirring, because the dough ends up so thick. I ended up putting on my plastic chicken gloves (fresh ones) and mixing it by hand. Isn't that crazy? So use a mixer, if you have one.

Mix sugars, shortening, butter, peanut butter, and egg. In another bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir into other mixture (here's where I started getting in trouble). After like 5 minutes you should be done. Ha ha just kidding. So then shape dough into 3/4 inch balls (Lorri says don't be tempted to make them bigger because they rise a lot. But I do not bake with rulers, and some of mine were big and some bigger. They all came out fine). Partially sink 1 kiss into each ball (Emma liked helping with this part). Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake @ 375 for 10 minutes (until set, but not hard).

So anyone who knows Steve knows these were a hit. The kids liked them too. And I brought some to Women's Bible Study on Tuesday and they got all eaten. And I brought some to Terri's house yesterday (hence some cookies without kisses since Terri doesn't like chocolate (so crazy)) and everyone liked them there. So I'm definitely keeping the recipe and making them again.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Okay, so nobody ever seems to leave comments? This is the perfect opportunity to comment, question...or harass your recipe dealer?!

Anyways, yes - I fell hook line and sinker for these cookies. Do you think if I compliment my wife enough, I'll get another batch or two out of her? :)

I love you, honey - keep up the good work, and don't forget to stay real and remember your faithful peeps when you go international with New Recipe Night!