Thursday, January 24, 2008

Creamy Tarragon Chicken

AAAAAAH! How frustrating. We have been having "technical difficulties" getting online due to our stupid phone jack. Now Steve has fixed it (finally) and I have a bunch of new recipes to post. Some are from like two weeks ago! Can you believe it has been that long? I told Steve to hurry up and fix our connection because my reading public needs to have these recipes! Ha ha. Anyway this first one is from a magazine my mom got me a subscription to called Simple and Delicious. There are many things in here that I have marked to try, but I must say this first one wasn't so great. I liked how easy it was but it tasted like something was missing. Anyway here it is:

Creamy Tarragon Chicken
7 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup water
2 ounces prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
3 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
2 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cups frozen broccoli-cauliflower blend, thawed (I used carrots)
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta (I used radiatore. Couldn't find orzo and haven't liked it in the past anyway)

In 5-qt slow cooker, combine first 10 ingredients (through pepper). Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Remove three chicken breast halves, cool, cover, and refrigerate for Chicken Wild Rice chowder (which we had 2 days later. Obviously if you don't want to make the chowder, only start w/ 4 breasts instead of 7. The chowder was better than this was, though...more to follow on that). Stir vegetables and cream into the slow cooker. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are heated through. Meanwhile, cook orzo according to pkg directions. Serve with chicken and vegetables. 4 servings.

So like I said, it wasn't so great. Of course Steve liked it, although he didn't like the radiatore because he said it was too hard to pick up with a fork (?). I really liked that you could cook chicken one night for two meals. This almost tasted like it needed more salt or something, but that seems unlikely since it has salt and bouillon in it. Oh well. This one isn't going in the file. But the next one is....

No comments: