Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hamburger Pie

We had this last night, yet another shepherd's pie variation. This one I wanted to try because it is made with condensed tomato soup, something I greatly enjoy. But it wasn't so great. It was okay, I guess. We ate it, and we'll eat the leftovers, but it wasn't fabulous. Didn't make the cut. From Better Homes & Gardens, again. Only 2 recipes left in this cookbook before I move on.

Hamburger Pie
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion (oops, I realize as I'm typing this that I left that out...)
1 14 1/2 oz can cut green beans, drained, or 2 cups frozen cut green beans, cooked and drained
1 10 3/4 oz can condensed tomato soup
1/8 tsp pepper
5 medium potatoes, cooked
1/2 cup warmed milk
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup shredded american or cheddar cheese

In a large skillet cook the beef and onion until beef is lightly brown and onion is tender. Drain well. Stir in the beans, tomato soup, and pepper; pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole (here I used my Pampered Chef square baking dish for the first time). Mash potatoes while hot; add milk and egg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon in mounds over casserole. Bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 4-5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Makes 4-6 servings.

I haven't made mashed potatoes with a beaten egg before, always with butter. So the potatoes didn't really taste creamy enough to me, even though they were still potatoes, so I still liked them. Of course Emma didn't like hers, and Sam said the cornbread one was better. I think he is right.

No comments: