Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mandarin Chicken Stir-Fry

So, I was supposed to make this with Jessi the night that Steve was gone in Boston, but then fate (or a soda machine) intervened. So we had this last night, and it was a big hit. It's the last recipe I had marked from the Jan/Feb Simple & Delicious.

Mandarin Chicken Stir-Fry
6 tbsp soy sauce, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dill weed (turns out, I didn't have this but thought I did. So it got left out. It didn't really matter though)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 cans (11 oz each) mandarin oranges
2 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
2 cans (8 oz each) sliced water chestnuts, drained (I don't really like water chestnuts, so I only used one can)
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
Hot cooked rice

In a large ziploc bag, combine 4 tbsp soy sauce, salt, and dill (why are we adding extra salt when soy sauce is so salty? I don't know. But I did.). Add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, drain oranges, reserving syrup; set oranges aside. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch, remaining 2 tbsp soy sauce, and reserved syrup until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet or wok (I don't have a wok. My dad used to have one), stir-fry chicken in 2 tbsp oil for 6-7 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove with a slotted spoon. Sitr fry water chestnuts and celery in remaining 2 tbsp oil (I didn't add more oil. It seemed like there was enough left over in there after I took out the chicken) for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Gently stir in oranges. Serve with rice. 4 servings.

Suprisingly, Emma said this was the best chicken in the world. But, she only ate the chicken. She wanted nothing to do with the other ingredients. Sam liked it as well. But not the water chestnuts. I didn't like them either. They taste too bleccch. Steve says he thinks of them like a crunchy potato. Eww, even worse. I'm definitely keeping this recipe, and I'll still use water chestnuts, since they aren't very expensive and Stevie does like them.

No comments: