Monday, April 28, 2008

Oven-Barbecued Ribs

So, this is my last recipe from this cookbook! How exciting. We had this yesterday for lunch, and invited Jon & Jess at the last minute. It just seems like ribs are like a "company" meal, there's always so much left over if you don't have people to share it with. So these smelled awesome while they were baking, and then tasted so good. And then all afternoon whenever I walked back into the kitchen I could smell the barbecue sauce still and I was like, man those ribs were good.

Oven-Barbecued Ribs
4 pounds pork loin back ribs or meaty spareribs, cut into serving size pieces (I'm not sure really what kind I ended up with. Walmart had two types of ribs, neither of them said that, so I got the more expensive cut. They were already cut into like 6 inch lengths...unless that's just how long a pig's ribs are anyway...)
1 clove garlic, minced (I got to use my PC garlic press for the first time...that thing is pretty cool. A big phooey to Steve-o who didn't think I would use it)
1 tbsp margarine or butter
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup chili sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp salt
dash bottled hot pepper sauce (I used one drop)

Place ribs in a kettle; add enough water to cover ribs. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan cook the garlic in hot butter for 1 minute. Stir in all other ingredients. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat; set aside. Drain ribs and place in a shallow baking pan. Pour sauce over ribs. Bake, covered, @ 350 about 20 minutes or until heated through. 4 servings.

So of course, Emma, Nathan, and JoJo were not at all interested in ribs. They had chicken nuggets. But, all the grownups and Samuel ate these, and I thought they were deeeelish. If you like ribs, and I think you do, you'll like these (that was my Reading Rainbow-style quote). Da dum dum!

No comments: