Monday, April 7, 2008

Tostada Pizza

So I made this Saturday morning and brought it to Autumn's house for the scrapbooking thing. The reason I wanted to try it is because I really like taco and nacho stuff and it was something different with tacos. I modified it a bit, because some of the ingredients I don't use when I make tacos, so I didn't use them with this. However, at the last minute (or so) I decided to bring this to Autumn's, and usually when I make things for a bunch of people I leave in those ingredients that I am so picky about, but I hadn't bought them when I bought the other ingredients, so I didn't have them to use. Luckily, Autumn had salsa, at least =) This is from Better Homes & Gardens.

Tostada Pizza
1 pound lean ground beef (I have yet to see a recipe that calls for high fat ground beef)
3/4 cup water
1 4 1/2 oz can diced green chili peppers, drained (I left this out)
2 tbsp taco seasoning mix (about 1/2 of an envelope)(I used all of it and omitted the next thing)
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp cornmeal
2 cups packaged biscuit mix
1/2 cup cold water
1 15 oz can refried beans (why doesn't Jessica like beans? They're so good)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used shredded Mexican because that's what I had)
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped (nope)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (nope)
taco sauce (optional)(or use your friend's salsa when you get there)

In a large skillet, cook ground beef until brown. Drain well (which you shouldn't have to do if you followed the initial instructions for lean ground beef). Stir in the 3/4 cup water, chili peppers, taco seasoning mix, and chili powder. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until thick. Meanwhile, generously grease a 12-14 inch pizza pan. Sprinkle with the cornmeal. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the biscuit mix and 1/2 cup cold water with a fork until dough follows fork around the bowl. With floured fingers, pat dough into bottom and up edge of prepared pan. Spread refried beans over dough (easier than I thought). Spoon meat mixture over refried beans. Bake, uncovered, @ 450 for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 3-5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Top with lettuce, tomato, and green onions. Serve with taco sauce if desired (6 servings).

So this was okay, but the combination of biscuit and taco was weird. I don't think it was a huge hit among my friends, since over half of it was left. So this one goes nowhere. But try it if you want to.

1 comment:

magnantgirl said...

I tried this and I used the Boboli pizza crusts and it was a HUGE hit here! I just couldn't do the biscuit thing! So I thought I would let you know thank you for the supper idea!!! Love you!!!