Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Apple Cranberry Crumble

This was the dessert I made yesterday. This was very very yummy. It's from the Fruit section of the TOH cookbook (pg 360), not from the desserts, which I would expect. It seemed like a good seasonal recipe since people always use cranberries around the holidays (I mean Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm not trying to get out of saying CHRISTmas or anything).

Apple Cranberry Crumble
3 cups chopped peeled apples (I used my PC apple peeler/corer/slicer...that thing makes a mess but it does work well)
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional (I left these out because the crazies I live with don't like nuts)

In a greased 8-in square baking dish, combine apples and cranberries; sprinkle with sugar. In a bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, and butter; sprinkle over cranberry mixture. Top with pecans if desired. Bake uncovered @ 350 for 55-60 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serve warm. 6 servings

So this was quite tasty but not very big. It is over half gone already, and that is just with me having one serving last night, and Steve having one last night and one in his lunch today. So if you were baking for anything besides your immediate family you would definitely have to double this one. But we're keeping this one because it was very very good.

No comments: