Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cranberry Pork Chops with Rice

I know it seems I am on a cranberry kick lately; it's not my fault. These Simple & Delicious magazines are all like seasonal and stuff and cranberries happen to be featured a lot. My sister said to tell Steve I am just concerned about his urinary tract health, hence all the cranberries. We had this for supper on Wednesday night. It's from S&D Nov/Dec 2008.

Cranberry Pork Chops with Rice
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 boneless pork loin chops
2 tbsp olive oil
1 can (16 oz) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Rice:
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (almost a whole can)
2 cups instant brown rice
1/2 cup dried cranberries

In a lg ziploc bag, combine the flour, salt, seasoned salt, and pepper. Add pork chops, one at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook pork in oil over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. In a small bowl combine cranberry sauce and vinegar; pour over chops. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add rice and cranberries. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Serve pork chops with sauce and rice.

Okay so I just want to say that is too much vinegar. If I make this again I will omit the vinegar. The smell was so strong the whole kitchen smelled of it. When Steve got home from work, he was like "what are you making?" and usually he says "it smells good in here." The vinegar made the sauce really sour too. BUT, the pork chops were very moist so I think the coating is good and the method of cooking. So I'm keeping the recipe but not using the vinegar next time...the rice was good too (the kids didn't like it...Emma just picked out the cranberries...I'm gonna keep on them about the rice, though...).

No comments: