Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cheesy Noodle Casserole

This has been a very prolific few weeks for me, as far as going through recipes goes. That's good, I am making progress! Last night we had chicken with this as a side dish. It's from the Taste of Home cookbook pg 300, in the pasta & pasta sauce section. It turned out to be just a glorified mac & cheese...

Cheesy Noodle Casserole
5 cups uncooked egg noodles
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp onion salt
1 1/3 cups milk
8 oz velveeta, cubed
2 tbsp dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp butter, melted (how do you even measure that? I just guessed)

Cook noodles according to pkg directions; drain. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic salt, onion salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese (they mean Velveeta, which my friend Nina assures me is not even real cheese), stirring until melted. Stir into noodles (which you should put back into the cooking pot after you drain them then you will have room to stir this all up...the recipe says to add the noodles to the cheese but it also tells you to use a small saucepan so you would definitely not have enough room...sheesh I thought they had a Test Kitchen where they would figure this stuff out). Transfer to a greased shallow 1 1/2 qt baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, @ 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

So this was more expensive (due to the velveeta) than regular mac & cheese. Of course Steve liked it, the kids weren't crazy about it and I wasn't really either. So not a keeper. It reminded me of those packs of noodles you can buy at the store as a side dish that cost like $.97, like Lipton Noodles & Sides or something, they are called. But this cost me way more than $.97 to make so I guess I'll stick with the packets. It's not like this was a healthy thing to make it worth the extra money, anyway...

No comments: