Monday, December 22, 2008

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

So yesterday was a fairly prolific day for me, as well, recipe-wise. I made this bread and the next recipe, the mini cheeseburgers. I have been wanting to make this bread for a while, I just seemed to never have the time or opportunity. So yesterday I made it (with significant "help" from Emma and Nathan). It's from Simple & Delcious Nov/Dec 2008.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup raisins
3 tsp ground cinnamon

In a large bowl (like your Kitchen Aid mixer bowl) combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a mixing bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups sugar and oil. Beat in eggs and buttermilk until combined. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Combine cinnamon and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in small bowl; set aside. Spoon half of the batter into 2 greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pans. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon sugar; repeat layers. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake @ 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. 2 loaves (12 slices each).

So this was pretty good. You could tell it was a quick-bread (as opposed to yeast bread) but it was still yummy. It didn't really toast up very well though, I think it was too moist. I'm sure I will make this again, but I will double the raisins, because many pieces only had 1 or 2 raisins. Nathan didn't have it, but the other kids did and there were no complaints, although no rave reviews either, but I think that still counts as a victory.

No comments: