Sunday, December 14, 2008

Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup

I made this on Friday when I was making a meal to bring to a family with a new baby. It was one of the recipes I had marked as wanting to try without having to buy ingredients. It was a bit of a gamble giving a new recipe to people, but I figured I couldn't mess up chicken and vegetables too bad. I saved a little for myself so I could try it and appropriately review it here for my reading public =) I thought it was pretty tasty. The original recipe was for turkey rather than chicken, but that's okay, poultry is poultry (even though Emma does not believe this). I liked that it had potatoes in it instead of noodles, so it was more like stew than soup. It's from Simple & Delicious Nov/Dec 2008.

Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp butter
2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes (I used red-skinned potatoes so left the skin on, because you can eat it and it is good for you. Fiber and stuff. But wash them first of course hee hee)
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 1/2 cups milk, divided
3 tbsp flour

In a large saucepan saute the carrots, celery, and onion in butter until tender. Stir in chicken, water, potatoes, bouillon, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 2 cups of milk. Combine flour and remaining milk in small bowl until smooth (or do it right in your measuring cup if it's big enough). Stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. 4 servings.

So like I said, pretty good...try it if you like soup. I gave Easy Cheddar Biscuits along with the soup which I believe I posted earlier. At work last night I had it with a few tortilla chips. A weird pairing, I know, but I really wanted to work those chips into my meal somehow because I love tortilla chips. It turned out okay. This morning in church the husband told me that they liked the soup and that his wife wanted the recipe so that's two votes for the soup. Really if you count them individually it's more. So I guess it was good. And it was pretty easy even though it took a while to cut all the vegetables. So in this cold and flu season it would be a yummy easy restorative soup to make for your sick family member that would say "I love you and want you to feel better" just a little more than a can of Progresso would.

No comments: