Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Crispy Herb-Coated Pork Chops

This is what we had for supper last night. What is a great unhealthy way to make pork chops? Dip them in butter and then fry them in oil! Sounds good, huh? I had these pork chops in the freezer. I forgot how long they had been there, I just knew I had some. Well I pulled them out yesterday and they were from April of '08. A bit freezer burnt, but I thought I would try them, since I didn't want to waste the meat. They turned out fine, you couldn't even tell. It's not like I live with a bunch of restaurant critics. Anyway this recipe is from Simple & Delicious March/April 2009.

Crispy Herb-Coated Pork Chops
1/3 cup butter, cubed
2/3 cup butter and herb flavored mashed potato flakes
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp garlic powder
4 bone-in pork chops
2 tbsp canola oil

In a shallow bowl, melt butter. In a large ziploc bag, combine the potato flakes, cheese, and garlic powder. Dip chops, one at a time, in butter, then place in bag; shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook chops in oil over medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until meat juices run clear. 4 servings.

So the Taste of Home people, and their spin-off mags like Simple & Delicious, always publish reader recipes. This one here was sent in by some chick named Ann from Chicago. She offers this helpful tip, which the magazine put under the heading "Ann's Tip:" "If you're looking for a heartier meal, consider making some mashed potatoes. You'll already have the box open to make the pork chops." Ummmmmmmmm...thanks Ann. Great tip. Almost as good as "Here's a tip: Don't talk to strangers." Honestly sometimes the corny-ness of these people is quite amusing. Anyway the pork chops came out great. Even Nathan ate them. So I will keep this recipe. Incidentally, I did make the other package of potatoes (since they come in a 2 pack) to have with this. But not because Ann told me to. I wanted to dye them green with food coloring since yesterday was St Patrick's Day. But when I suggested this to the kids, Emma started crying. I guess the thought of green food was really upsetting. So instead we had green beans with it and just left the potatoes the way they were.

No comments: