Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Peanut Butter Cake Bars

I just made this today to bring to Bible Study tonight. But I already ate one. To inform you, the readership, of course. It's from Simple & Delicious March/April 2009. It might seem mean to make something that Steve would probably love and then take it to Bible Study. Don't worry, I left him a couple on a plate. Plus, we have other desserts that need to be eaten up. Plus if it's good I'll make it again anyway. I'm not too sure about this one...they were good but not quite what I was expecting.

Peanut Butter Cake Bars
2/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg (11.5 oz) milk chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet because I have a lot of them and I didn't want to buy the other ones when I have so many of this kind)

In a large bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake @ 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

Like I said, these were good, but I thought they would be more peanut-butter-y. Also the consistency seemed a bit thick. You know how on the box of brownies it gives you directions for fudgy brownies or cake-y brownies? Well I always make fudgy brownies. And these here were more cake-y. I guess the name should have clued me in to that. I think I was expecting these to be like brownies except peanut-buttery. That's what they look like in the picture in the magazine. But they were still good. I will wait for Steve to get home and eat his before I decide if I'm keeping the recipe or not.

No comments: