Monday, March 9, 2009

Ranch-Style Chicken Strips

After a long hiatus, I am back in blog mode. A big shout out to our guest columnist who gave recipes while I was away in Haiti, eating, among other things, goat. I have a few things to post to catch up. This recipe I actually made before I left, but then with things as chaotic as they were, I didn't have time to post before I left. It's the first recipe I tried from the cookbook Mom got me for Christmas this past year, Better Homes & Gardens 5 Ingredient Favorites. Every recipe in the cookbook has less than 5 ingredients, not counting water and salt and pepper. So we had this on the Monday before I left. It was a way I thought the kids would eat homemade chicken-nugget type things, but I was wrong.

Ranch-Style Chicken Strips
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups crushed cornflakes
2 tbsp snipped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 8-oz bottle buttermilk ranch salad dressing (they don't even have 8 oz bottles at the Wal-Mart so I had to buy a big one and now we have a lot left over)
12 oz skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips

Lightly coat a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a shallow dish combine the cornflakes and basil. In another dish place 1/2 cup of the dressing. Dip chicken strips into dressing; roll in crumb mixture to coat. Arrange strips in the prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, @ 425 for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Serve chicken strips with remaining dressing.

So this was nothing special really. We all ate it but no one was crazy about it. Emma said she didn't like the topping. Oh well. I guess if you like ranch dressing or something then this would be a good recipe for you.

No comments: