Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Easy Goulash

So this, you make in the crockpot. I already have a sweet recipe for goulash, comfort food from my childhood, that involves macaroni and tomato soup, but I thought I would give this one a try, since it goes in the crockpot. It's from the BH&G 5 IF (my new abbreviation for this cookbook with a long name--to see what it is if you don't know, just read an earlier post).

Easy Goulash
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 of a 28 oz pkg (3 1/2 cups) frozen diced hash brown potatoes with green pepper and onion (they do not have this at the Wal-mart, plus Sam hates peppers. So I got plain hash brown potatoes and cut up an onion to go with them)
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used shredded Mexican blend because that's what I had in the fridge)

In a lg skillet, cook ground beef over medium high heat until brown. Drain off fat. In the crockpot, combine all ingredients except cheese. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours. Turn off crockpot and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

So this was actually quite good. It ended up looking kind of like chili but without beans. The kids weren't crazy about it, I think because of the tomatoes, but I only had a couple of big chunks in mine, and I picked theirs out for them because that's the kind of mom I am. So I think we will keep this one. It was easy and made the kitchen smell good all day and was yummy too.

1 comment:

magnantgirl7 said...

I look forward to making this tomorrow for supper will post how it tastes!!!