Monday, March 9, 2009

Pull-Apart Garlic Buns

Wow. The 3 recipes I have posted today all have hyphenated titles. Weird. So we had this on Friday night. Josh came over to talk Haiti stuff. I apologized to him that he is a guinea pig so often. He was gracious. Anyway we had this with a very yummy beef stew recipe that I had not made in a while. Overall a very yummy meal, and Steve and I had the leftovers the next day for lunch. These rolls are from the Taste of Home cookbook, pg 462.

Pull-Apart Garlic Buns
2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 pkg (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp shortening
1 egg
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tbsp sesame seeds

In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, water, and shortening to 120-130 degrees. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a bun. Combine paprika and garlic powder (I ran out long before I got all 12 rolls dipped, so I would double those above amounts if I was you). Dip each bun in melted butter, then in paprika mixture. Place 6 buns in a greased loaf pan; sprinkle with half the sesame seeds. Top with remaining buns and sesame seeds. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake @ 375 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool.

So Josh had two of these, so I know he liked them, because if you are just being polite you only have one. Steve really liked them too. So did I. I think next time I will leave out the sesame seeds. All they did was get everywhere and they didn't like brown up and be really yummy or anything. Plus Emma kept trying to brush hers off. So these were really easy to make and yummy and I will definitely be making them again. This was basically enough for our family + Josh with only a couple rolls left over, so if you are having people over you should double it and make it in 2 loaf pans.

No comments: