Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sweet Onion Spread

Well, the recipe that follows is, I think, the worst one in "New Recipe Night" history. Seriously, it was so bad. The recipe sounded good. We were going to a potluck to celebrate friends' birthdays that we know. It seemed like the perfect place to bring it, since it was obviously something you would make for a crowd, not for a family supper at home. It came from BH&G 5 Ingredient Favorites that I got for Christmas this past year. Well, it was a tanker, in a big way. I'll give you the recipe, then the reactions from some of the people that tried it...

Sweet Onion Spread
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp honey
2 medium sweet onions (such as Vidalia, Maui, Walla Walla, or Oso sweet), quartered
4 large cloves garlic, peeled
Toasted bread slices or crackers

In a large bowl, stir together oil and honey. Add onions and garlic; toss well to coat. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 2 quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Transfer mixture to food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Serve with toasted bread slices or crackers.

Okay so when I put this in the bowl to bring to the potluck, it was like a creamy white color, like you would expect. By the time we got to the potluck, I wanted Steve to try a little bite of it and see if he liked it because if it was bad I was going to put it back in the van and pretend like we just brought crackers to the thing. Becky's dad was there so he tried some too. They both said it was good. But they have probably both been trained well. At least I know Steve has. Dan has a wife and two daughters so he's probably well trained, too. So I covered the dish back up and the kids played for close to an hour. By the time we were ready to eat, I uncovered the dish to discover...that it had turned GREEN. Isn't that weird? There are no green ingredients in the recipe, I do not know why that happened. We sat at a long table with the Schmelings, ourselves, and the Mullins. Brad ate some of my lovely dip and teared up. Autumn said something like "too much onion." Jean ate some and said "Hmmmm." So you can see this did not get rave reviews. And apparently my friends can be honest about it, whereas my husband does not have the liberty to say what he really thinks about my flops. In case I stop cooking for him. I can't really blame him, I guess. I'm sure I received it better from my friends that I would've from him. So do not make this one. I wonder if the Better Homes & Gardens people even made this one before they published it. I doubt it.

No comments: