Friday, April 12, 2013

Barbecue Turkey Meat Loaf

This recipe makes two loaves.  I like that because I can throw one in the freezer for later.  But in this case I plan to give the other loaf to a family for Helping Hands (which is a ministry of our church that gives meals to families with illnesses or new babies or whatever).  I do enjoy my mom's meatloaf, and I now have a recipe that is almost as good as hers.  But I decided to try this one for fun, and because I had ground turkey in the freezer.  From Simple & Delicious.

Barbecue Turkey Meat Loaf
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/3 cup 2% milk
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 1/3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp rubbed sage (I didn't rub it, I hope it was pre-rubbed)
2 lbs extra-lean ground turkey
1 lb Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed (I had 3/4 lb of pork sausage left over from another recipe that I used instead)
Topping:
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp prepared mustard

Combine first 10 ingredients in a large bowl.  Crumble ground turkey and sausage over mixture; mix well.  Pat into two greased 9x5 inch loaf pans.  Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl; spread over tops.

Cover and freeze one meat loaf for up to 3 months.  Bake remaining loaf, uncovered, at 350 for 50-55 minutes until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 165.  Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

To use frozen meat loaf:  Bake frozen meat loaf at 350 for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

We had this with mashed potatoes and carrots.  It was really really really good.  Way better than the one I had in my keeper book, which I will be replacing with this one.  It was a bit fatty around the edges of the pan, but my mom told me that a good meatloaf always is.  If it's too dry it doesn't taste as good.  Seriously so good.  Even Nathan liked it.  YUM

No comments: