Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Turkey and Corn Enchilada Casserole

Another easy-sounding one from $5 Dinner Mom.  Today Sam started swim lessons in Hampden, so I put this casserole together after lunch, and Steve just threw it in the oven when he got home from work, and when we got home from swim lessons, it was ready to eat. 

Turkey and Corn Enchilada Casserole
15 oz can crushed tomatoes (I could only find 28 oz cans of this, so I put 2 cups in this recipe and froze the rest to use in another recipe)
1/2 small yellow onion, finely choppped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 pound ground turkey, browned and drained (I used a whole pound because I've found with this cookbook that if I only put the amount of meat that she says, nobody is happy)
15 oz can corn kernels, drained (I used 1 cup frozen)
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
10 corn tortillas (I used flour because we infinitely prefer them)
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a 9x13 glass casserole dish with cooking spray.  In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except cheese and tortillas.  Place 5 tortillas in bottom of the casserole dish, covering the bottom and overlapping the tortillas (I actually only needed 4 to do this).  Spread the turkey mixture over the tortillas.  Sprinkle with half of the cheese.  Top with remaining tortillas (again I only needed 4) and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes or until the cheese begins to turn golden.

This was good, but not great.  And Nathan only picked out the turkey, black beans, and corn. Emma mostly only ate the tortillas and cheese, and a few pieces of the turkey under our specific direction.  Sam & the adults ate all of it, and it was good, like I said, but I have other recipes similar to this that I liked way more. 


No comments: