Monday, April 22, 2013

Meat and Potatoes Casserole

This one sounded quick and easy (except for the bake time, but I mean easy to throw together) and like something everyone would like.  Instead of cutting up potatoes, I used frozen diced potatoes that I had left after I bought them from another recipe, and I was very happy with the substitution, since I really don't like washing, peeling, washing, cutting, and dicing potatoes.  This one is from $5 Dinner Mom...

Meat and Potatoes Casserole
1 pound ground beef, browned
1 small yellow onion, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and diced (I used approx 1 cup of shredded carrots)
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (or 4 cups frozen diced potatoes)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a 9x13 glass casserole dish with cooking spray.  In the pan, combine the browned meat, onion, carrots, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and potatoes.  Sprinkle cheese over the top.  Cover dish with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender (unlike most of her other recipes, this actually took only 45 minutes, just as she estimated...)

This was so good!  I left one corner unsprinkled with cheese, since cheese is Nathan Repellent.  He liked his non-cheesy section, and the rest of us liked our cheesy portions.  It smelled great, tasted great (although we did all add salt to ours) and was very easy.  Keeping it.

No comments: