Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Beef Fajita Pot Pie


This is from $5 Dinner Mom.  She seems to do some weird combinations.  I never would have thought to put a pie crust on top of a taco-like mixture.  But hey, I like taco-type stuff, and I like pie crust (so much...I could eat it by itself...).  So I decided to give it a try.

Beef Fajita Pot Pie
3/4 lb ground beef, browned (I used a whole pound)
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
1 bag (12 oz) frozen pepper and onion blend (in the past they haven't had this at Walmart but this time they did)
2 tbsp fajita seasoning (or taco seasoning...I used fajita)
1 tbsp lime juice
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used shredded Mexican)
1 pie crust (store bought or homemade...I used store bought because I can't master pie crust)
Sour cream for serving (if you like it...not here though)

Preheat oven to 400.  Grease a 9" glass pie plate with cooking spray (I used a deep dish one).  In a large mixing bowl, toss together the browned ground beef, diced tomatoes & chilies, frozen peppers and onions, fajita seasoning, and lime juice.   Pour into prepared pie plate and top with shredded cheese.

Place pie crust over the top and press around edges of the pie plate to seal.  Make 4-6 slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crust begins to turn golden on top.  Let cool slightly before serving.

I didn't even try this with Nathan.  He had chicken nuggets and applesauce.  I knew Sam would like it, and I thought Emma could just pick around the peppers and be fine.  This was a drama-filled dinner.  She acted like the peppers were worms; she didn't want to touch them, not even to move them away from the meat.  She did eventually pull herself together and eat the meat and most of the pie crust...It was pretty good, just a touch of spiciness.  I don't think we'll have it again though.

On a side note, this was the first pound of ground beef we have used from the organic cow we just bought.  We bought 1/4 of a cow a few weeks ago and have filled our freezer with what we hope will be yummy and clean meat.  We have had one of the steaks already, and it was a bit tough but still okay.  We have several roasts and lots of other steaks too.  I love having a freezer full of meat.


No comments: