Friday, April 12, 2013

Chicken Chili Chowder

This recipe came out of Simple & Delicious.  They had a recipe contest for recipes using convenience food items, and this was one of the featured recipes.  I thought it sounded like something we would like so I gave it a go.  It came out totally different than what I was expecting...

Chicken Chili Chowder
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp canola oil
5 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth (I used 2 cups homemade stock)
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 cup salsa verde
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 can (15 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 3/4 oz) cream style corn
Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for garnish, optional

Saute onion in oil in a large saucepan until tender.  Add potatoes, broth, soup, salsa, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Stir in the chicken, beans, and corn.  Heat through.  Serve with cheese and sour cream if desired.

This came out weird.  It didn't smell that good.  I took a picture so you could see how it looks weird, too. It tasted okay, and Sam really liked it.  I guess the texture and the flavor didn't mix.  It did have the consistency of chowder, and yet the flavor of Mexican.  It was just weird.  I had planned to make cheddar biscuits to have with this, but decided to have tortilla chips instead when I saw how it was shaping up.  We have over half of this left, which will go into the freezer for another meal, which we will all eat and mostly enjoy, but after that I won't be making it again.

No comments: